add meaning to your may!
As a nonprofit organization, the 500 Festival relies on a dedicated team of thousands of volunteers to ensure our events and programs continue to enrich the lives of half a million people every year. Working together in true Hoosier spirit, our volunteers help create an exciting and impactful community-led road to the Indianapolis 500.
The 500 Festival Volunteer Program, presented by Citizens Energy Group, offers more than 100 areas of volunteer opportunity, providing a role to fit every interest and ability. We’re looking for individuals and groups who are interested in using their time and talent to support our wide variety of programs and events. Volunteer opportunities include:
Check out Volunteer Opportunities
- Study Trip Guide: Do you love kids and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Volunteer to host a 4th grade class at IMS as part of the 500 Festival and Indianapolis 500 Education Program, presented by IU Health.
- Runners’ Services: Do you give the best high fives this side of the Mississippi? Sounds like you’d be the perfect volunteer to distribute snacks and beverages at Runners’ Services just past the Finish Line for the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon!
- Usher: Is Hospitality your middle name? You’d be a great Usher at the IPL 500 Festival Parade. Users greet spectators and help them find their seats.
- Groups: Volunteering with the 500 Festival is a fun and engaging way to take team-building into the community. Experience isn’t necessary for our group volunteer opportunities, we’ll provide your team with any necessary training. Whether you have a group of 10 or 100, we’ll work with you to find the right opportunity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about group volunteer opportunities.
The 500 Festival is grateful for the devotion and enthusiasm for our community demonstrated by our volunteers every year. We’ve got the best volunteers around and we provide our volunteers with purposeful perks.
- Free commemorative volunteer t-shirt
- Free collector’s pin
- Invitation to the 500 Festival’s Volunteer Appreciation Day (must complete registration by April 11)
- Access to the 500 Festival Volunteer Virtual Goodie Bag which contains exclusive promotions and discounts
- Snacks & beverages during your volunteer shift
- Special access at 500 Festival programs and events
- Create unforgettable memories with old and new friends
- Contribute to the success of the Magical Month of May in Indianapolis
Questions? Contact: email@example.com
See what our volunteers have to say about their experience
“500 Festival staff does a great job of running this flurry of events in May!”
Kids’ Day Volunteer
“It was a fun and awesome experience. Runners made the volunteers feel greatly appreciated!”
“I really enjoyed all the upbeat and positive vibes from everyone from the 500 Festival staff to the participants running/walking, it was a totally awesome experience.” “I already suggested to several people they should volunteer and help out (including strangers picking up packets at the time). I had a great experience overall.”
“An excellent opportunity to share a significant part of Central Indiana history with our youngest fans.”
Education Program Volunteer
“I’ve been walking as a volunteer with floats for 13 years, and enjoy it each year.”
“I would love to be a balloon volunteer again. We LOVED it. We enjoy volunteering at a lot of places, and the 500 Festival is a really great opportunity. Thanks!”
Did You Know? 93%
of the 2017 500 Festival volunteers stated they will return to volunteer 95%
of 500 Festival volunteers would recommend volunteering with the 500 Festival to family and/or friends 94%
of 2017 500 Festival volunteers said they would rate their experience as Excellent or Good Volunteer positions:
7,000 Volunteer hours: